Re: [css3-page] Re: [CSS2.1] Grammar for @media versus general block parsing

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:38:30 -0700
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>

Bert Bos wrote:

> So, if we can't pull margin boxes outside of the @page block anymore,
> then we'll unfortunately have to accept semicolons.
>
> The only way to avoid the semicolons, I think, is to require instead
> that all margin boxes must come *after* all declaration. Thus this is
> wrong:
>
>     @page {
>       @top-left {content: "Chapter 1"}   /* WRONG! */
>       margin: 0
>     }
>
> and this is correct:
>
>     @page {
>       margin: 0;
>       @top-left {content: "Chapter 1"}
>     }

I was thinking that, too, myself. Unfortunately we already have
at least two shipping implementations (Prince and HP) that accept
both of the above. We could require it for authors and have the
validator flag the first example as invalid, but implementations
would still need to support both syntaxes.

~fantasai