RE: [css3-background] background-position relative to other corners

From: Alan Gresley <alan1@azzurum.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:03:38 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
cc: www-style@w3.org, Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>

fantasai wrote:

> Ok, we can consider this for CSS4 Backgrounds and Borders if someone turns up with
> a good use case. And if we do something like this, it'll most likely be using
> rect() or inset() syntax like Brad mentioned, but on the background-clip and
> background-origin properties.
>
> ~fantasai

Thank you. I prefer rect() too. As I understand it, this:

background-position: rect(0 0 0 0);

will be:

background-origin: rect(0 0 0 0);

Giving the 'background-origin' property an extra value. This does make sense. My proposal was factored on the premise that 'background-origin' with just the values of 'border', 'padding' and 'content' was just to limiting. Adding the value 'rect()' for 'background-origin' makes this very powerful tool.

This now leaves 'background-position' with the maximine of two values with the ability to position a background image from any of the four corners of an element. Is this possible for inclusion in CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders?

Alan

http://css-class.com/