Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Request for feedback on syntax

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:50:24 +0100
To: "Bert Bos" <bert@w3.org>, "W3C Style List" <www-style@w3.org>

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:37:36 +0100, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> If some people wants to use Selectors in a language with a different
> syntax than CSS's, it's up to them to adapt the notation. And if that
> requires different escapes (or different white space, different
> comments, etc.), that's fine by me. But we, the CSS WG, don't define any
> such syntaxes.

I, member of the CSS WG, respectfully disagree. Having CSS, XBL, Selectors
API, the CSSOM, and HTML 5 each define their own parsing rules for
Selectors Level 3 seems suboptimal in so many ways. The most widespread
implementations of Selectors Level 3 will support CSS, XBL, Selectors API,
the CSSOM, and HTML5 and requiring them to have five different ways of
parsing Selectors seems just outright wrong.

Anne van Kesteren