Re: Syntax of CSS Rules in HTML style attribute

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 11:41, Paul Duffin wrote:
> All,
>
> I have some comments and questions regarding the Working Draft
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css-style-attr-20020515. I have looked
> at the W3C member pages for any updates to it but cannot find any,
> possibly because I just don't know where to look. So if these have
> already been covered then please could you refer me to the
> resolution.
>
> 1) I noticed that the draft is very old, 2002, so was wondering what
> the plan was for this specification. Is it still being worked on, has
> it been abandoned, or superceded, ... ? Hopefully it is still active
> in some way as I am interested in implementing full support for it
> but need to be sure that what I do is 'standard'. The rest of my
> questions assume that it is active.

It's neither actively being developed nor completely abandoned. On our
roadmap[1] it is listed as low priority, which means that interest in
it is judged too low to work on it. But the working group's charter is
regularly reviewed and the draft may come back some day.

It is certainly *not* a standard. But there are some people interested
in it, so if you implement it, (1) make it very clear that it is for
experimentation only, and (2) give us feedback.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work.html

> 2) There appears to be an ambiguity in the grammar between the
> inline-ruleset and the stylesheet productions as they can both match
> the following string ":hover {color:red}" but depending on which one
> does the effect will be different. i.e. if inline-ruleset matches
> then it only applies to the current element but if stylesheet matches
> then it applies to the current and all nested elements.
[explanation & suggestion omitted]

I don't plan to update the draft soon, but I'll make a note of your
suggestion.

> 3) It references CSS 2 instead of CSS 2.1 to define the specificity
> of CSS in a style attribute and they are different. I presume that
> CSS 2.1 as the later specification is correct, as it is also
> referenced from CSS 3.

Yes, references and dependencies are out of date.

Bert