Re: Advanced Font Features

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:38:24 +0100
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

Jukka K. Korpela:
> I would like to see decent CSS 2.0 (or at least CSS 2.1) support in
> browsers first, then some hyphenation "control", before considering
> ligation

Well, yeah, but this is www-style, not some implementer or advocay list.

> As the first step, we could add a property with a list of strings
> as its value, specifying the letter combinations that should be
> ligated,

There are several levels of ligation indeed, and for normal users
those are probaby enough. Finer control is necessary for expert use
of course, but I'm not sure whether simple string lists are
sufficient and whether they should be in CSS itself or combined with
dictionary files.

>>    table   {number-style: tabular non-lining;}
>
> Sounds fine, though usually we can and should deal with numeric tables
> by selecting a font that has the desired kind of digit glyphs.

Today, I expect a font to have more than one kind of digits. That's
what OT etc. are about after all.

> (e.g., "F-1" or "ISO 10646" does not look very good when old style
> digits are used).

   acronym {digit-style: lining} /* ;) */