Re: Advanced Font Features

Christoph Päper wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela:
>> I would like to see decent CSS 2.0 (or at least CSS 2.1) support in
>> browsers first, then some hyphenation "control", before considering
>> ligation
>
> Well, yeah, but this is www-style, not some implementer or advocay
> list.

One of the key problems, if not the key problem, in CSS specifications
and drafts is the huge gap between them and implementations. CSS 2.1 has
tried to fix this by declaring the reality righteous, i.e. by
retrofitting flaws in implementations into a draft specification, and I
don't think that's the right approach, but it's still more reasonable
than writing down loosely formatted ambitious drafts and pretending that
they are specifications. What you have suggested is good food for
thought after some years, but there are much more important things to
consider now - like finalizing CSS 2.1 and deciding on some key
additions to be recommended in the near future.

> Today, I expect a font to have more than one kind of digits.

That expectation fails for most fonts.

>> (e.g., "F-1" or "ISO 10646" does not look very good when old style
>> digits are used).
>
>    acronym {digit-style: lining} /* ;) */

Very funny, but most people will miss the irony, I'm afraid. Few people
realize that ISO officially declares that its name is neither an
abbreviation nor an acronym, and many people even think that "F" is an
acronym, and some might even think that "F-1" is an acronym. Besides,
this is not about lining digits; lining vs. non-lining is logically a
different dimension than uppercase vs. lowercase (old-style) digits, and
there are lining lowercase digits.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/