From: Linss, Peter [mailto:peter.linss@hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 10:42 AM
To: Alex Mogilevsky; www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid] comments

Editorial comments:
Section 4 item 2 still refers to "natural grid", this should read implicit grid. Item 3 refers to the default grid which has been moved to issues and is no longer in section 4.

Section 4.1.1 the paragraph: "Also, grid lines can be defined in repeating groups. A group is enclosed in parentheses and optionally specifies a maximum number of repetitions in square brackets. Nested repeating groups are not allowed." needs to be updated to the new "repeat()" syntax.
General comments:
I'm having mixed feelings about referring to (and defining) grid lines in terms of columns, rows and cells. In other words, we should be clear and consistent whether we are talking about the lines themselves or the spaces between the lines, I think the current draft is a bit inconsistent. I'm leaning toward simply calling them horizontal and vertical grid lines and removing references to rows, columns or cells, perhaps even to the extent of calling the defining properties something like "grid-lines-vertical" and "grid-lines-horizontal". As the proposal matures are we discuss named (and possibly classed?) grid lines, I think this will become more important.

On the implicit grids for multi-column elements, it might be useful to have one grid line on the left and right edge of each column, as well as a single grid line between each pair of columns. Perhaps doing the same thing for tables, one line on each side of the border spacing and another at the row/column boundary.

Peter