Re: [CSS] Would be nice if...

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:35:06 +0000
To: CSS Style <www-style@w3.org>

On 10 Jan 2008, at 18:42, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Christoph Päper wrote:

> But I am always wondering why people think that word 'style' is
> only about visual style.
> It could be behavioral style too. And behavioral style can be
> related to visual style.
> In case of <input type="range"> @step may trigger appearance of
> spin buttons. Which are also related to visual style.

When function is specified, it is expressed using form. CSS is
concerned with the form, HTML is concerned with the function.

<h1> may trigger the appearance of large font sizes, which are visual
style - but CSS lets you say "Use a larger font size" not "Be a top
level heading".

It might be reasonable to add something to CSS that causes spin
buttons to be rendered, but setting bounds for a control is function,
not form.

> 2) keep HTML as purely semantic language.

A potentially worthwhile goal, but making HTML purely semantic at the
expense of stopping CSS being purely presentational would be one step
forward and then another step back.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/