Re: Empty string in media queries

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:59:24 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Also sprach Ian Hickson:

 > > [media query issues]
 >
 > I'd also like to add an issue that came out ofhte HTML5 work, namely that
 > it'd be nice if we defined the lack of a media query string to mean "all".
 > (That way, I don't have to explicitly cover the case of no media queries
 > in the attribute in HTML5, where it would be somewhat awkward to cover.)

So, in HTML you could write:

  <link rel="stylesheet" media="" href="http://...." />

and it would be treated as if the media attribute wasn't present. This
makes sense.

In CSS, you could write:

  @media {
  }

Should the style sheet within be applied? It would be consistent with
HTML to do so.

Cheers,

-h&kon