Re: Advanced Floats

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:15:25 -0500
To: Rossen Atanassov <ratan@windows.microsoft.com>

Rossen Atanassov wrote:

> As for floats, the need for float: top | bottom is quite more
> important than center for scripts in vertical layout. At this
> time it is hard for designers that work with Japanese or Chinese
> languages (and any other vertical script for that matter) to
> position floats as naturally as we could in LTR or RTL. I see
> that both TOP and BOTTOM have been defined for paginated scenarios
> but I don't see the same for bottomless pages, is this something
> which is being currently considered?

Well, I do expect CSS3 to include "start" and "end" values for
floats. "top" and "bottom" wouldn't present the same layout problems
in vertical layout because they'd be analogous to "left" and "right"
in horizontal layout. But then "left" and "right" would present
those problems instead.

I agree this is something that needs to be discussed. A lot of things
in CSS2.1 don't translate to vertical text in an obvious way.

~fantasai