Re: [CSS3] Box Model Terminology

From: Andrei Polushin <polushin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:21:35 +0600
To: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:
 > Here's the proposed mapping from current terminology to
 > writing-mode-generic:
 >
 > Dimensions
 > ----------
 >
 >   width                                              logical width
 >   height                                             logical height

Good.

 > Directions
 > ----------
 >
 >   n/a (refer to 'direction' property)                 inline direction
 >   n/a (refer to 'direction' property)                 block direction

Not so good: while it became a writing-mode-independent, it's still a
layout-algorithm-dependent: now it is defined in terms of flow layout.

It might be better to use "logical width/height direction", or simply
"width/height direction", because the direction of physical width/height
always remains constant.

 > Sides (from LTR reference)
 > --------------------------
 >
 >   top                                                 before
 >   left                                                start
 >   right                                               end
 >   bottom                                              after

Did you consider "logical-top" etc. instead of "before" etc.?

Those before/after/start/end is really inconvenient for authors, and
probably for Japanese authors too. I would suggest reusing the terms
from both worlds instead of introducing unusual terminology:

    top          logical-top         japanese-left
    left         logical-left        japanese-bottom
    right        logical-right       japanese-top
    bottom       logical-bottom      japanese-right

In this case, logical-top and japanese-left are full synonyms and can be
used interchangeably throughout the specifications.

--
Andrei Polushin