Re: [CSS3] Proposal to add list-style-type: tree-line value

On Feb 20, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> I think it makes sense to add another value to the list-style-type
>> enumeration - "tree-line".
>
> Wow, that's far more than stylistic Andrew... That's clearly
> behavioural. But that is only a part of the solution needed for
> UL/LI turned into foldable trees. We need a queryable way to
> specify an
> item is folded or not too... Right ?
>
> </Daniel>

Daniel,

Clearly the behavioral part would be useful. Given the choice, I
would like to see it added to CSS. To make it most useful, designers
would need to be able to query the current state of the list, the
current state of a single element in the list (visible or not), and
to 'fold' and 'unfold' the list to hide/display an element or sub-
tree (fold/unfold one level, or some number of levels, or all
levels). This would be most useful when connected with pseudo-
elements :hover, :active, and :focus, so the designer could make the
list expand/collapse based on user actions.

And, before the programmers reply with 'Do it in JavaScript', I know
it can be done with a procedural language. I have done it that way.
But, if we are talking about styles, visible and hidden are styles
already, this would just allow better control of the PRESENTATION by
the stylist.

If not given the choice, the list-style-type of 'tree-line' would
still be useful. Although, the proposed name did not convey the
utility of the suggestion. Reading 'tree-line' I thought of the tops
of the trees, somewhat like a skyline in a city. Are there other
suggestions for naming this useful list-style-type? (The only thing
that comes to mind right now is 'tree-list'.)

James Elmore