Re: [css3] “Selectors that People Actually Use”

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:14:26 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

Apologies for the delay:

> > > http://ejohn.org/blog/selectors-that-people-actually-use/
> >
> > Although I do not agree with all of John's objections it looks like
> > a few CSS 3 selectors might indeed require a revision.
>
> Did you have specific ones in mind?

Referring to John's list:

* E:empty – Chances are indeed that authors will use element selectors instead, and I remember Eric raising other concerns concerning this pseudo-class [1].

* E:lang(fr) – Probably the most questionable selector since apparently replaceable by attribute selectors.

* E:nth-of-type(n), E:nth-last-child(n), E:nth-last-of-type(n) – Trivial objection: These selectors will bring much joy but will be rarely used just because “cognitively too demanding”; I expect them to be used absolutely nowhere in personal projects and quite rarely in complex projects. That doesn't mean anything, it's just my two cents.

> Note that John's not using these in CSS, which of course changes the
> use cases.

Indeed, the scripting background of the post is obvious, and several concerns aren't really valid (as the discussion already revealed, too).

[1] http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/08/17/running-on-empty/

--
Jens Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/