Re: [CSS21] text-transform on generated content?

On Monday 2008-12-29 13:49 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> L. David Baron wrote:
>>  * text-transform does apply to generated content
>
> If we wanted to call this out, we'd have to do that for a lot of
> other properties as well, e.g. white-space, the font properties,
> etc. If we're adding anything, it should probably be a blanket
> statement in 12.1 saying that all properties apply to :before and
> :after as if they were real elements.

I think there's more of an issue for text-transform than for other
properties (with the exception of white-space), because it's a
question of ordering.  The spec says that two things happen
(insertion of generated content strings and text transformation),
but it doesn't say which happens first, and the order does affect
the results.

That said, it may well be better to call out order-of-processing
issues in the definition of :before and :after in 12.1

>>  * generated content does not introduce word boundaries for
>>    'text-transform: capitalize'
>
> It should if you have
>   :before { display: block; }

True.