Re: [CSS21] text-transform on generated content?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:49:31 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> I can't find anything in CSS 2.1 that says whether 'text-transform'
> applies to the content generated by the 'content' property on
> :before or :after.  Yet Mozilla, WebKit, and Opera all seem to do
> the same thing (make it apply) on:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008Oct/att-0018/text-transform-generated-content.html
>
> Should the spec explicitly say that this behavior is correct and
> other behaviors are wrong?
>
> In particular:
>  * text-transform does apply to generated content

If we wanted to call this out, we'd have to do that for a lot of
other properties as well, e.g. white-space, the font properties,
etc. If we're adding anything, it should probably be a blanket
statement in 12.1 saying that all properties apply to :before and
:after as if they were real elements.

>  * generated content does not introduce word boundaries for
>    'text-transform: capitalize'

It should if you have
   :before { display: block; }

~fantasai