Re: FW: NoWrap property

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * fantasai wrote:
>>If the author wanted the entire unit to be non-breakable, then he
>>could have wrapped the whole thing in <nowrap>. Since there is
>>a break in the <nowrap>, the point between the two <nowrap> elements
>>is outside the <nowrap>. A break opportunity there should therefore
>>not be suppressed. Otherwise there is no way to express layouts that
>>require grouping this text run and that text run but allowing a break
>>between them.
>
> That would seem to imply, if between two runs you normally do not wrap,
> you cannot make it wrap. That seems odd, but even so it should be quite
> possible to come up with some marker for a wrapping point, say,
>
>  element { line-break-after: allow }
>  ::after { content: break-opportunity }

This would be possible with CSS3's text-wrap:unrestricted, combined
with fantasai's (and Gecko's) interpretation of white-space:nowrap
(which maps to text-wrap:none). Just write

.nowrap { text-wrap:none; }
.wrap { text-wrap:unrestricted; }
class="nowrap">def</span></span>

Rob
--
"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our
iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by