Re: [css3-background] number of layers should consider background-origin and background-clip

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:04:09 -0800
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org

L. David Baron wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#layering says that the
> number of background layers considers the background-image,
> backgroundrepeat, background-size, and background-position
> properties, but not the background-clip and background-origin
> properties.
>
> I think the number of layers should consider either (a) all six
> properties or (b) only background-image.
>
> Furthermore, the statement about interpreting each of the properties
> as though it has a certain number of values should refer to all six
> properties.

I agree it should be all or nothing. And I don't think the layerable
properties should be listed in a separate section, I think each property
should say on its own that it affects the layering.

But really, I think it makes the most sense for only background-image
to create layers. Because I can totally see something like this happening:

.classA {
   background: url(topleft.png) top left,
               url(bottomright.png) bottom right,
               url(topright.png) top right,
               url(bottomleft.png) bottom left;
   background-repeat: no-repeat;
   ... other stuff ...
}

#foo {
   background-color: silver;
   background-image: url(matte.png);
   background-repeat: repeat;
}

to realize that the background shorthand is the only thing that will
reliably unset all the layers.

Also, if we add another layerable background-foo property in the future
it can break rendering on existing pages through this phenomenon: an
explicit list of all background properties will no longer reset the layers.

~fantasai