Re: FW: NoWrap property

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:49:01 +0100
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

* Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
>Odd, I would have thought exactly the opposite.  If
>there are two contiguous nowrap regions, then the
>probability that one will end up with an ill-formatted
>document is far greater if wrapping is prohibited
>between them than if it is allowed.

Not wrapping may result in visually unpleasant rendering, such as one
that requires horizontal scrolling, but wrapping may result in a ren-
dering that is semantically different than what was intended. That is
worse ill-formatting in my opinion.

>In general, HTML
>is a "wrappy" language, and I would expect it to wrap
>(if it needs to) wherever wrapping is not explicitly
>precluded, rather than the converse (which is to say,
>wrapping only where it is explicitly permitted).

Using white-space:nowrap is pretty explicit, is it not?