Re: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:29:58 +0100
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

fantasai wrote:

> The spec isn't clear on what exactly happens here, so the CSSWG
> decided to ask web designers what they expect. So far I have two

It's easier to see if you re-cast the example
to use classes rather than inline styles :

   <a>
     Text A
     <b class="bolder">
       Text B
       <c class="bolder">
         Text C
         <d class="lighter">
           Text D
         </d>
       </c>
     </b>
   </a>

Then assume this style fragment :

.bolder  {font-weight: bolder}
.lighter {font-weight: lighter}

 From this alone, it is reasonably clear that
the designer wants anything of class "lighter"
to be lighter than the immediately surrounding
material (and analogously for "bolder").
His wish is defeated at Text C, because there
is no bolder font available, but can be honoured
everywhere else, including at Text D.  Thus
Text D will be lighter than Text C, Text C
will be bold, and therefore Text D will be
normal.

Philip TAYLOR