Re: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

On 27 Aug 2008, at 8:23 pm, fantasai wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>
>> What should Text D be? Bold or normal?
>
> I would say bold, if I were being so bold. -- Andy Clarke
>
> I say it goes to normal. -- Molly Holzschlag

I vote with Molly.

Use case:

Text spans A, B, and C are all written by different authors (e.g. some
kind of aggregated content), who happen to be called A, B and C. Text
D is written by Author C

B doesn't know A has made the container of his text bolder, and
C doesn't know B has made the container of her text bolder

Author C expects her content to be in a normal weight, and applies
‘lighter’ to some portion of that. Author C wants span containing text
D to look different from the surrounding text. So it should go from
Bold to Normal, regardless of the failure earlier of Author B to force
C's text to be emboldened.

In my belief this corresponds to the ascending and descending of
ordered lists as defined in CSS2.1

— Nicholas Shanks.