RE: [css3-fonts] Nested 'bolder' and 'lighter' question

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:03:28 -0700
To: Simetrical <simetrical@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> The question is one of intent, I think.  What are some cases where
> this actually comes up?  What sorts of semantics would most often
> dictate the use of nested bolder/lighter?  I can't come up with an
> example that's not pretty contrived.

It is contrived. Not only are the relative weights nested but the font has only two weights. So whichever value we will specify to be 'right' may match the author's intent only half the time...

However unlikely in the real world, I believe the original question may have had two parts : what would you expect, and what does the spec say ? Given the rules it defines to assign numeric font weights and how bolder/lighter affect the property's value, I think it says D would be bold.