Re: Additional value for the visibility property

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 05:46:37 +0000
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org
On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:08 am, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Also note that if the author really wants an out-of-flow element to
> be composited seperately they can usually move it in the document
> outside of the container with 'opacity' and give it its own
> 'opacity' to achieve that.

One thing that does suck about opacity is that you can't make a child
element less opaque than its parent (unlike visibility, where the
inherited 'hidden' value can be overridden with 'visible' in
children). This can be limiting in some designs, but luckily we can
achieve many of the same effects with transparent background images,
or rgba() colors with alpha.

Simon