Re: WebFonts ready for use

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:25:18 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>  Also, it would make it difficult for authors to serve a font only
>  licensed for embedding in documents they produce, since the UA may
>  use it for other documents without any deliberate action on the part
>  of either the site or the user.

This could be dealt with by adding a shareability flag and/or domain
white‐listing mechanism to CSS3 Web Fonts that could prevent a Web font
from being shared indirectly.

The following would allow or prevent a file to be shared. This would
address the licensing issues.

shareable: no; /* Default: Do not share file among any other documents. */
shareable: all; /* Share file among any documents that will accept it. */
shareable: regex("http*://*.example.*/*"); /* Share file only among
documents at the specified URIs. */

The following would allow an author to limit shared font files that
their documents would accept. This would allow an author to eliminate
security issues.

accept-shared: no; /* Default: Reject all shared files; use a cached
(specifically from the referenced URI) or installed version or download
the file. */
accept-shared: all; /* Accept shareable files originating from any
location. */
accept-shared: regex("http*://*.example.*/*"); /* Accept shareable files
originating from documents only at the specified URIs. */

Actually, I can think of cases where this might be useful outside of
fonts, so maybe HTTP headers for use with any resource might be better.

— Patrick Garies