Re: [cssom-view] padding edge / border edge for offsetTop/offsetLeft?

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:29:19 -0700
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>, 'Sylvain Galineau' <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, 'Www-style' <www-style@w3.org>
To: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>

On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> Since this is relating to CSSOM and HTML5 which IE8 will not support
> and since IE8 'doesn't' have the 'hasLayout' hack/bug [1] why not
> just ignore what IE5~IE7 does. Then the quirks mode of IE9 will be
> IE8 standard mode behavior. This seems the sensible approach for
> interoperability.

On the general pubic audience site I monitor, about half of the IE
users are on IE6 (about 35% of our total audience), and accessing
during work hours. I don't see any mad rush to IE8 anytime soon. It
will be years before the share of IE6 users (or IE8+ operating in some
sort of IE6 mode) dwindles to insignificance.