Re: [cssom-view] padding edge / border edge for offsetTop/offsetLeft?

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:04:37 +1000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>, 'Sylvain Galineau' <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, 'Www-style' <www-style@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:45:07 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> I was. The offsetParent for this scenario is magical and hasLayout
> changes the offsetParent chain.

Since this is relating to CSSOM and HTML5 which IE8 will not support and
since IE8 'doesn't' have the 'hasLayout' hack/bug [1] why not just
ignore what IE5~IE7 does. Then the quirks mode of IE9 will be IE8
standard mode behavior. This seems the sensible approach for
interoperability.

IE8 still has the old bug [2] where the background-color doesn't begin
at the border box (this may be corrected in a later beta ???) but does
this also apply for in IE8 when the parent has a border? I can not test
locally anymore. :-)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Dec/0151.html
[2] http://www.brunildo.org/test/BackgroundBorder2.html

Alan