Re: [CSS-3] outline-style: glow

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:56:25 -0700
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> Due to specifics of outline rendering (it is being drawn on top of
>> siblings of the element)
>> outline is a best place to define and render such effects.
>
> Well, I disagree. Outline properties currently have a very specific
> meaning and you're changing that.
>
> </Daniel>

Think about this:

outline:solid (as a 2d filter) can be represented by
a pulse-shape function.

Meaning of outline-offset and outline-width for such
a function is exactly what I use for outline:glow.

"Radii" of outline:solid (outline-box bounds) is a sum
of outline-offset and outline-width.

To be short, I did not change meanings of outline properties.

And yet:
outline:glow and outline:dotted are used for an indication of
visual(:hover) and input(:focus) states in UI of various OSes.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com