Re: [CSS-3] outline-style: glow

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:31:43 +0200
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 01:03, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> I propose to add new value of 'glow' to the list of outline-style
> values.
>
> Glow is an outline where color intensity (opacity of outline-color)
> is a function of distance.
> Usually glow is made by applying Gaussian 2d filter to pixels of some
> image.
>
> Here is a sample of rendering elements with outline-style:glow;
> http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/outline-glow-sample.png

The Backgrounds and Borders draft[1] has a 'box-shadow' property, which
can create similar effects. It's subject to 'z-index' and drawn in a
layer of the element behind the background. That means that there is
some control over its stacking; unlike 'outline', which is always in
front.

The draft doesn't say how the intensity of the shadow relates to the
offset.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-box-shadow

Bert