Re: [CSS21] Alternate solution to issue 8 (whitespace and tables)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:47:46 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 02:46:09 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Anonymous boxes wouldn't exist if we were processing white space before
> they were created.

Though the text on anonymous inline level boxes
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#anonymous suggests the following:
"Whitespace content that would subsequently be collapsed away according to
the 'white-space' property does not generate any anonymous inline boxes."

> Anne's alternate proposal would require changing this to (very
> explicitly)
> interlace the anonymous table box and anonymous inline box generation
> rules with the white space generation rules.

You would probably need a note similar to what inline level boxes have,
yes. Also, my proposed text was slightly incorrect. Only whitespace-only
text nodes should be removed, not all whitespace.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>