Re: [css3-mediaqueries] example not matching spec change

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:27:06 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 05:44:52 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:
> On Wednesday 2008-04-02 20:28 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
>> In http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#syntax there is an
>> example that doesn't match the normative text preceding it:
>>
>> # If one media query in a comma-separated list is ignored, the other
>> # media queries in the list are also ignored.
>> #
>> # Example XV.
>> # <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen and (max-weight: 3kg) and
>> # (color), (color)" href="example.css" />
>> #
>> # In this example, the first media query is rejected due to an unknown
>> # media feature and unknown value, but the second media query is
>> # evaluated as if the first had not been specified.
>>
>> The example is unchanged from the last working draft at
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/#syntax , but the normative
>> text has changed to the opposite.  If this change was intentional,
>> it seems like the example should change as well.
>
> That said, I'm opposed to this change because it's incompatible not
> only with existing implementations of media queries, but because
> it's incompatible with existing pre-mediaqueries behavior.  The
> following test:
>
> http://dbaron.org/css/test/2008/mq-drop-whole-sequence
>
> yields an aqua background in every browser I tested (Firefox trunk,
> WinIE 7, WebKit trunk, Opera 9.26, Konqueror), whereas the spec
> change in question seems to mandate that it have a yellow
> background.

Do we really want different behavior for @media versus media=""? How
likely is it for content to use unknown media features such as max-weight?
I looked through media="" attrribute values on the Web (some amount of
pages from dmoz) and I never saw such a thing.

(That the example doesn't match the normative text is problematic though.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>