Re: [CSSWG] Resolutions 2007-08-28

Philip Taylor:
> Bert Bos wrote:
>
>> I also think that changing the base font size (your example) is
>> something that designers should simply never do. The media queries
>> don't measure the distance of the user from his screen and thus
>> cannot say anything sensible about the optimal font size.
>
> But what about the standard typographic guidance, extended to the
> web screen, that a single line of text in a paragraph should not
> exceed approximately
> $nn$ characters (40 -- 70 for paper, 70 -- 100 for screen)?

That guidance is based on human "psychoptical" properties. It
manifests in a rule of thumb expressed in number of characters, but
it really is about visual angles. When you increase the character
size the ideal viewing distance gets larger, too. The usual viewing
distance for paper and screen differ, as does character detail.