Re: Proposal of @ua

On Oct 20, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Kornel Lesinski wrote:

> Conditional comments in HTML encourage using completely separate
> stylesheet for IE, so all ugly code is kept in one place and can be
> easily revised when Microsoft changes IE.
>
> Your proposal makes it easier to pollute CSS code with UA-specific
> hacks, so I don't think that's improvement over conditional HTML
> comments in terms of CSS tidyness.

Conditional comments in HTML require editing every single HTML page
on your site, and doing it again when a new browser version comes out
or if you change your design and require a separate sheet for some
other version that you didn't before. Having similar functionality in
a shared CSS file itself is a huge advantage over having it in the
HTML, and you can still link to a separate file if you wish, from
within that one file, by using @import.