[Fwd: Re: Proposal of @ua]

Mike Bremford wrote:

 >> No, please, never.
 >>
 >> This is manifested maintainability hell (actually, I never saw it that
 >> obvious yet). Rather sue implementors to conform to specifications …
 >
 > Seconded. If a web developer can be bothered to include these sort of
 > rules, they're also able to read the spec and design for cross-browser
 > support in the first place. It's 2007, there's no excuse not to.

Is this not a bit far from reality? Even if you only need to support
Browsers like IE6, 7, Firefox and Safari (say for a commercial site)
this is hardly possible without resorting to CSS hacks which by the way
are maintainability hell as soon as a new browser/version comes around.

And I don't think this will be much better in the future.

CSS3 (or whatever it will be called) won't be finished any time soon
(this year?) nor implemented let alone widely deployed. Even if it will
be finished it will not be perfect (no offense, just natural) and have
enough room for different browsers implementing stuff differently.
So a way to support a kind of compatibility (maybe regarding features)
would be helpful.

I don't think "using CSS hacks" is a wanted reaction for people who must
cope with real-world imperfect browsers?

Just some thoughts...
Chris