RE: [CSS3-content] [css3-lists] [css3-page] Implied counter-increment

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 04:58:26 -0000
To: "Michael Day" <mikeday@yeslogic.com>, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Hi Michael,

You said:
> That means that specifying "counter-increment: none" will not
> inhibit the list-item counter increment, which makes sense as
> "none" is the default value.

Ah, a key point.

Then I agree, I think we do have at least a subtle difference in
implicit counter models for 'list-item' and 'page'.

fantasai said:
> I think at this point I'm leaning towards changing the 'page' counter
to behave like
> the 'list-item' counter, and introducing an 'inhibit' value for
counter-increment that
> will cause any implied counters to not be incremented.

Yes, that's a possibility.  The text in css3-page addresses the
situation where the author explicitly declares a counter named 'page'
which collides or overlaps in scope with the implicit counter. I don't
see anything explicit in that regard spec'd for 'list-item'. Am I
missing it?

Best wishes,

Melinda