[css3-selectors] ::selection

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:05:31 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

The Selectors Level 3 specification should probably go into more detail on
how boxes for ::selection are to be generated so that it's clear how it
interacts with other styles, etc. That would also help if someone decides
to support background-image for ::selection.

WebKit and Gecko support it in such a way that it doesn't affect the
selection color of child elements. So if you have:

   p::selection { background:lime }

and someone selects "FOOBARBAZ" "BAR" will have the default selection
color. I don't really care about how this is going to be done, but I'd
like it to be defined.

(It would probably be good if someone tackled ::first-letter and
::first-line too which have similar issues.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>