Re: Proposal of @ua

From: David E. Ross <david@rossde.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:27:35 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Kemper responded directly to me, forgetting to include
<www-style@w3.org> in the distribution of his message.  His response
is as follows.

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Proposal of @ua
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:04:53 -0800

The one I proposed suggested being able to detect both the rendering
engine and the browser, so that one could also account for browser-
specific items, such as how form fields are drawn (different in
Camino than in FireFox, for instance). But I agree that the renderer
(Gecko, Webkit, Trident, etc.) is more important.

I never said that the entire UA string should be used, as that is
already hopelessly muddied. I suggested a media query that the
software could provide simple, honest values to, not something that
is derived from javascript or HTTP headers. We already have that.

David E. Ross

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?"  Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"