RE: [CSS3-content] [css3-lists] [css3-page] Implied counter-increment

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:37:55 +0000
To: "Michael Day" <mikeday@yeslogic.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

Michael said:
> David said:
> > No, I'm saying that the implied counter would increment no
> matter what
> > the counter-increment property says, so an author who wants to undo
> > the increment would use -1.  (But the better way would
> still be to use
> > a different counter.)
>
> That's not how we do it in Prince, we let the user override
> automatic increments by specifying an increment of zero for
> that counter. It seems logical, as it avoids introducing the
> concept of an unchangeable shadow increment that can't be
> directly modified, but only canceled out.

css3-lists seems to support Prince's approach, given this:
"The list-item counter is a real counter, and can be directly affected
using the 'counter-increment' and 'counter-reset' properties. It can
also be used in the counter() and counters() function forms."

Do we expect to revisit this?

Best wishes,

Melinda