Re: W3C CSS Home Redesign RFC

From: Brad Kemper <brkemper@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:17:04 -0800
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>

On Nov 15, 2007, at 1:45 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Actually, the W3C CSS pages would be a good place for information
> on using
> user style sheets as well. Instead of offering a fancy collection of
> alternate page style sheets, which cannot be selected by most
> people (since
> they use IE and don't have an add-on for extended style sheet
> support) and
> cannot be selected except on a per-page basis (i.e., the choice
> does not
> stay in effect when moving to a new page), they could have some
> directly
> downloadable demo style sheets, with instructions on how to use
> them as user
> style sheets on popular browsers.

What I had in mind was a JavaScript control for selecting between the
alternate style sheets. Those with JS turned off would either use
their browser controls to switch, or would just see the default.
There is a good article on ALA for how to use such a scheme site-wide
via a cookie that records your preference. I was also thinking that
there could be a class name on the BODY tag to identify pages from
this site, so that people could try out their own style sheets for
the site in a manner similar to what you propose, even if they were
not built in or selectable by the site.