Re: W3C CSS Home Redesign RFC

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> So, to reiterate, we're looking for *your* feedback on how to make the CSS
> homepage better. Some questions to get started with:
>
> What do *you* want from the site? What links are most important?

Fast, easy access to the actual specification documents is very important to
me.  That is why I like the 2.1 link on the panel on the right hand side.
It's also why I do not like the destination of the 3 link that's right next
to it - it takes me to the current work page rather than a page that
introduces CSS3 (which could then link to the current work page)

I like the colour coding of the CSS 3 documents in the current work page.
Perhaps the "Upcoming" column should only be coloured in if people are
actively working on that spec.  It strikes me that there's an awful lots of
specifications listed and quite a few haven't been updated for several
years.  I don't know whether or not they have they been abandonned or
whether people are hard at work on them.  If some way could be found to
represent a dormant state, that'd be useful.

> What should we do with existing content filling up
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/ and http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/learning ?
> (E.g. scrap it, put it on a separate page, format it as a table, outsource
> it to a wiki, whatever)

I think it's too much to have it all on the front page, to be honest.  Maybe
having the full lists on separate pages and just keeping the top 5 or top 10
entries on the front page would be a decent compromise?

> Anything else we should take into account?

Please retain the alternate stylesheets.  Actually, I wonder how many people
actually know that they are there at all?  Perhaps it would possible to
explain it very briefly in the text and incorporate a tiny bit of scripting
to make it easier for people to see the effects of applying the different
stylesheets.  Just something very simple, plus a link to CSS Zen Garden.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer