Re: Parsing media queries

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:01:01 +0200
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Nov 14, 2007, at 16:47, fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Does that mean ignoring for UA processing but counting as errors as
>> far as validation goes?
> Yes. A valid media query would have to conform to the syntax given in
> the draft (once it's updated to account for whitespace). We probably
> should add a statement to that effect.

>> Also, are the keywords supposed to be tokenized as idents from CSS3
>> Syntax and then compared against a list of known names or are the
>> key words in theory part of the low level syntax? (I supposed this
>> only makes a difference for what error message would be right.)
> No, actually, it would also make a difference as to whether you
> recognize
> CSS-style character escapes. And probably affects case-sensitivity
> as well.
> IMHO mediaqueries should not import CSS character escapes, but
> should be
> case-insensitive.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to allow escapes. After all, the
spec are Basic Latin identifiers--not arbitrary strings.

Case-insensitivity would be ASCII case-insensitivity, right? That is,
"HEIGHT" should count as "height" but "HEÄ°GHT" shouldn't.

Aside: XML 1.0, CSS3 and HTML5 all have different notions of
whitespace. No fun. I don't want to write extra code to catch the case
of horizontal tabs appearing in media queries in HTML5. I think I'm
going to let that one slip by for now, since I think it would be more
productive to unify CSS and HTML5 notions of whitespace than to write
code to deal with the difference.

Henri Sivonen