Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:15:49 -0500
To: Ludger BŁnger <ludger.buenger@realobjects.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Ludger BŁnger wrote:
> And regarding Boris' concerns about users possibly losing control:
>
> Last time I checked the standard, 'user important' stylesheets were the
> very highest in the cascade...
> I'm not aware anyone ever considered changing this...

So what you're telling me as a web browser implementor is that I should just
make my UA's print header/footer settings be !important rules in the user
stylesheet?  That effectively means completely removing all support for
header/footers as far as web page authors are concerned.

While I'm personally OK with that, perhaps, I do think that fantasai's use cases
have merit.  Your proposal would in fact prevent them from being usable on the
web.  While I appreciate your desire to use CSS in your non-web software, I
think web requirements should take precedence.  In particular, perhaps we should
think about a way for the user's and the page's header/footer settings to
interact that is somewhat more reasonable than just "one or the other has full
control, and whichever one doesn't has no say in it at all".

-Boris