Re: [CSS3] Generated content: environment variables

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Ludger Bünger wrote:
>> And regarding Boris' concerns about users possibly losing control:
>>
>> Last time I checked the standard, 'user important' stylesheets were
>> the very highest in the cascade...
>> I'm not aware anyone ever considered changing this...
>
> So what you're telling me as a web browser implementor is that I should
> just make my UA's print header/footer settings be !important rules in
> the user stylesheet?  That effectively means completely removing all
> support for header/footers as far as web page authors are concerned.
>
> While I'm personally OK with that, perhaps, I do think that fantasai's
> use cases have merit.  Your proposal would in fact prevent them from
> being usable on the web.  While I appreciate your desire to use CSS in
> your non-web software, I think web requirements should take precedence.
> In particular, perhaps we should think about a way for the user's and
> the page's header/footer settings to interact that is somewhat more
> reasonable than just "one or the other has full control, and whichever
> one doesn't has no say in it at all".

I don't think I'm able to construct an idea of what you're aiming at here.

Currently the Paged Media spec uses CSS properties to set the content and
style of headers and footers. This allows the headers and footers specified
by the user and author to interact through the cascade. If the author says
nothing, the user's settings are used. If the author specifies his own
headers and footers, then that overrides the user's normal rules and is
overridden by the user's !important rules. So if you want to allow the
author to set the font but not the content, you can do that by making the
content declarations !important in your user style sheet.

What capabilities are you looking for that aren't available in this model?

~fantasai