Re: [CSS21] Make XHTML <body> magic just like HTML <body>

On Wednesday 2007-03-07 14:11 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Extending this quirk from HTML to "XHTML" is a _lot_ more work than just
> changing the wording of that one sentence in the spec.

No, I don't think it is.  The wording in the spec is already pretty
detailed; it properly accounts for HTML documents that have multiple
HTML elements or multiple BODY elements due to DOM manpulation:

# For HTML documents whose root HTML element has computed values of
# 'transparent' for 'background-color' and 'none' for
# 'background-image', user agents must instead use the computed
# value of those properties from that HTML element's first BODY
# element child when painting backgrounds for the canvas, and must
# not paint a background for that BODY element. Such backgrounds
# must also be anchored at the same point as they would be if they
# were painted only for the root element.

And, for what it's worth, I support this change.  For my rationale,
see
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-March/009878.html

-David