Re: border-image clarifications needed

Andrew Smith wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am implementing border-image in Mozilla. There are parts of the spec
> which I don't understand. That may be because I'm clueless about style
> sheets but it may also be because that the specification can use some
> updating. I hope this is the right list to post on.
>
> Regarding http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-image
>
> 1) Of the three keywords (stretch, repeat, and round) only two are
> explaned. If 'repeat' is explained somewhere else, a reference is needed.

'repeat' means to simply tile the image as for background-image.
Since it's not yet specified where to anchor the image in this case,
you'll have to ask Dave Hyatt what he did.

> 2) The sample source image in Example 1 does not break cleanly into 3x3.
> This is entirely unexpected. The coordinates should be 0-26 for the
> first diamond, 27-53 for the second, 54-80 for the third. The image the
> way it is now is hard to use for testing, because of 1 or 2-pixel
> artifacts. I can make a replacement if you like.

If you're referring to
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-border-image
Viewing in the GIMP, I'm not seeing the problem you describe.

The rest of these are all very good points, unfortunately I don't have
answers for you. My suggestion is that you find out what Safari does,
and if it makes sense, implement that, and if it doesn't, ask Dave Hyatt
about it. We would have to do the same thing for the spec anyway, since
Safari implemented 'border-image' without first bringing up these problems
in the spec for discussion and without using a vendor extension. :(
Let us know what you find out, so we can ask Bert to put it in the spec
when he gets back.

~fantasai