Re: Proposal: font-size: auto

From: Windy Road <tom@windyroad.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:15:47 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org

On 12/06/07, Paul Nelson (ATC) <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hand held devices don't need text that is smaller in size just because they
> have smaller screens. A user still needs 10-11 points of font size to view
> the text without having a lot of eye strain. In some scripts the font size
> needs to be even larger to be comfortably readable.

But they do need the font-size to be smaller if the designer wishes
the web page to look the same regardless of the pixel width of the
screen.  Yes, my example will be unreadable on a small display (such
as a phone), but the intention is that zooming on the client would
resolve this.  You could use Photosynth (see
http://labs.live.com/photosynth/ ) as an example of un-discernible
content becoming discernible when zooming.  The videos of Safari on
the iPhone are also a good example of the desired effect.

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard
http://windyroad.org