From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Windy Road
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:59 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: font-size: auto

On 11/06/07, Paul Nelson (ATC) <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com> wrote:

 Scaling the font to fit this way would be based on a lot of assumptions. Do you want to do this by the average character width, the widest character width, require a monospace font be used? In Arabic text you have contextual character shapes which means the same character, like the beh, would have an initial that is very narrow and a final form that is very wide. What about scripts like Devanagari or Tibetan that have clusters or stacks and don't necessarily lay out linearly.

 This type of computation would be *very* expensive and be more problematic for authors to know what to expect. For example, would one line have one size font and another line with other sets of characters be scaled to a different size to fit?

The proposal would be for the formula to be very simple.  Generally in the form

  font-size = (width - padding-left - padding-right) / line-length

No more and no less complicated than that.

Paul, I'm not sure if you have been reading this thread so far, but the idea is to have in CSS a way of achieving the effect demonstrated at:

  http://windyroad.org/static/resolution-independence/

The demonstration uses the formula above.

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard
http://windyroad.org