Re: [CSS21] out of range unicode escapes

From: David Clarke <d.r.clarke@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:33:33 +0100
To: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
CC: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, www-style@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org
Paul (et Al)

Following  original discussion by the I18N core;

I am proposing that  the correct response to any invalid Unicode escape
should be to treat it
as a parse error (see section 4.1.8), in the same way that any other
invalid or unexpected character would be.
This would be consistent with current CSS error handling.

For clarity Add this text to 4.1.3 at CSS 2.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6>  :

    If the number is outside the range allowed by Unicode (e.g.,
    "\110000" is above the maximum 10FFFF allowed in current Unicode),
    then the parser should treat this as parse error and A user agent
    must ignore a declaration containing this invalid property name or
value.

see: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#ignore