Re: [CSS21] out of range unicode escapes

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:54:07 +0200
To: David Clarke <d.r.clarke@sheffield.ac.uk>
Cc: "Paul Nelson (ATC)" <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>, Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, www-style@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org

* David Clarke wrote:
>I am proposing that  the correct response to any invalid Unicode escape
>should be to treat it
>as a parse error (see section 4.1.8), in the same way that any other
>invalid or unexpected character would be.
>This would be consistent with current CSS error handling.
>
>For clarity Add this text to 4.1.3 at CSS 2.1
>http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6
><http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6>  :
>
>    If the number is outside the range allowed by Unicode (e.g.,
>    "\110000" is above the maximum 10FFFF allowed in current Unicode),
>    then the parser should treat this as parse error and A user agent
>    must ignore a declaration containing this invalid property name or
>    value.

I am afraid this is not sufficiently clear and somewhat inconsistent. I
would not know, for example, how to handle such an escape in a selector
or in a media query, "current Unicode" is not suitable language, and it
is not clear to me whether surrogate code points are outside the range,
and "should treat as parse error" is rather poor terminology (e.g., the
text requires to discard some parts, but it's not non-conforming if it
does not treat the condition as "parse error", and it's unclear whether
the style sheet is invalid or not).