multicolumn layouts with text wrapping around cross boundary dives

From: Eric S. Johansson <esj@harvee.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:45:16 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

haven't found one.  This means either that 1) I'm asking the wrong question, 2)
I'm asking the question wrong, or 3) it just can't be done.

the best description I have of what I want to do is to take a three column
layout and put a post-it straddling two columns.  Then the text in the two
columns should flow around the post-it on both sides.  I can get it to flow
around one side depending on which column I create the "Post-it" box in but not
both.

One suggestion I got was to create an empty box the same size as the "Post-it"
box and hide it underneath the post-it containing the text I want visible.  The
obvious problem is sizing of the box and positioning of the box.  Sizing is no
problem, I can always take the same text and CSS parameters and create another
box that's identical to the visible one.  That leaves positioning which is a
royal "difficulty".  This smells like a JavaScript solution in that the
JavaScript code automatically positions the "junk Post-it" and does something to
trigger a formatting of the page so that the text wrap happens properly.

Are there any better solutions?

I appreciate any help I can get.

---eric