Re: Survival of Styling with Copy and Paste

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:29:50 -0800
To: "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "W3C CSS" <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "Christoph Päper" <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>; "W3C CSS"
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: Survival of Styling with Copy and Paste

| On 20/02/2007 21:30, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
| > So the only feasible option of inter-document copying is use of
| > pure html without any styling information. CSS (cascading) simply
| > does not work in this use case.
| This is false. The second feasible option is to get the computed style
| of the element copied and compared it to the initial values of all
| properties to extract minimalist inline styles that could be applied
| to the element when copied. Not that hard to implement...
| </Daniel>

Hi, Daniel :)

I wouldn't be so categorical on this. Remember I said "meaning of
If UA is allowed to slice-n-dice while copying original markup then this is
completely different story. Changing attributes e.g. adding inline
styles, transformations, etc. are such changes.

For me html with inline styles is not anyhow different from RichText [1].
On the editor application side I don't know what to do with this inline
stuff -
e.g. some of styles will probably be meaningfull for the user - others
needs to be cleared somehow. How?
And in context of say <htmlarea> I doubt that inline styles
have any sense at all. This is as a rule fragment editing in the context
of some established style system. Copying there stuff from other style
is a source of permanent frustration. People are doing now so called
MsWordFilters (that is purely inline styling thing). I doubt that they'll
be happy of writing more of such sexy code that btw needs to
be specific for each web site.

IMO, clipboard shall contain pure content. Application-consumer
shall take care about applying styles needed for the user in the
target context.

As an example: EverNote[2] application is capable to store web content
fragments in its DB. In most (around 90%) cases we need as pure
content there as possible - user will need to read information he/she
stored in the most convenient font/styling. It would be "cauchemar"
if various pieces will use their original styling.

Andrew Fedoniouk.

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140277(office.10).aspx
[2] http://www.evernote.com/en/