Re: Alignment property proposal

On Dec 26, 2007 12:44 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 07:25:27 +0100, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> > Markus Mielke wrote:
> >> *Problem:*
> >>  Allow centering of content within a containing block. Today, we only
> >> have text-align: center available that only applies to text and inline
> >> elements. This makes general centering of elements (like images) really
> >> difficult.
Text-align also applies to table-cell's content, though this does not
work cross-browser:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#column-alignment

The nature of the spec seems (in my mind anyway) to have been to
replace align attribute on TD with text-align. It's a problem because
what do you do with margin: auto blocks when the TD has text-align:
center?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Dec/0018.html

> >>  *Proposal: *
> >>  It would actually be better to create a new property ...
> >
> > I've written this up for the wiki here:
> >    http://csswg.inkedblade.net/ideas/centering
Why can't you use a | length | ?

--
Monkey, so they say, is the root of all people today.